Template

Monday, July 9, 2012

Santiago's Cranioversary

Two years ago today Santiago had his second surgery to correct his right coronal craniosynostosis.   Santiago had a total reconstruction of his skull.  He also had a endoscopic procedure on his skull on March 25, 2009 at only 7 weeks old.   I never shared these pictures online because they are hard to see and at the time I didn't know if I wanted people to see him or us going through this.   I'm crying as I post this but I am so thankful to have this behind us.  Santiago has been through alot at a very young age but he is strong and smart and handsome! It is absolutely amazing to me that doctors have the wisdom and talent to fix something like this.  Without surgery for craniosynostosis the brain would not be able to grow normally and the cranial pressure could and would cause all sorts of problems.  Santiago has an awesome scar to show for his courage and I want others to know that although this is a very scary thing to go through, you can do it.  You never know how strong you are until you have to have strength.  With any surgery, especially with small kids, you have to have all the strength in the world.  Here's the pictures that I never shared....
Waiting for the anethesiologists to come 

About to hand my angel over for surgery...

Recovery room after hours of surgery - I almost fainted!

In PICU - day after surgery  

Day 2 - Swelling, bruising  but he began to see a little and that made momma smile

His eyes were completely swollen shut but he still wanted his favorite - a pop pop

Daddy and Santi eating another pop pop

Poppa and Grandma with Santiago - Pop pops were all he would eat at first


When his eyes swelled shut, he wanted to be held all the time




Two days after surgery - Having a test done

Nana, Dah and Bianca were also there all the time with us

Santiago loved being walked around this lobby area and wanted to touch all the trees

Day 3 

Day 4 - a little play time with Daddy

Dr. Teichgraeber - our lovely surgeon - Day 5

Going home - Day 5


Home sweet home and happy to see Roxie out of his barely open eyes

Day 6 - Great to be home and on the other side of surgery.  
And here is my courageous boy now at 3 and half years old.

He learned what the definition of courage is this weekend from my dad and his John Wayne coffee mug - Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways!  We all did that twice with Santiago!  Happy cranioversary sweet boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment