Template

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Liliana Nicole - 1 Month


Little miss Liliana has had a rough start but she is doing well. Sleeping and eating the first few weeks were hard on both of us.
It seemed like all she wanted to do was nurse and the nursing hurt me a lot. When she was done nursing, she would cry and cry and I wouldn't know what to do except nurse some more. It was a never ending cycle and it's really hard to juggle the other kids and life when you need to be sitting and nursing constantly. Although Lili was nursing non stop, she was having trouble gaining weight. She was 8 lbs 7 oz at birth, we left the hospital at 8 lbs 1 oz and at her two week check up she was only at 8 lbs 2 oz. the pediatrician was concerned because babies are supposed to be at least back to birth weight at two weeks. She encouraged me to start pumping after a nursing session and bottle feeding her the pump breastmilk or giving her some formula. She also advised me to have the lip tie fixed and luckily we had an appointment to take care of that the day after a weight check appt where she still hasn't gained. She hadn't lost weight but she is barely maintaining. The doctor said she is burning a lot of energy when she nurses because it is difficult for her to nurse properly with a lip tie.


At three weeks old, I took Liliana to a pediatric dentist who specializes in lip and tongue ties. I was very impressed with the doctor because she gave me a presentation about ties to teach me why sometimes people have them and why it's important to get them fixed. They can cause eating problems which we are experiencing and late can cause teeth to grow in improperly and speech issues. After learning and sharing what was going on with Liliana they did an examination and found that she had a level 4 (the worst) lip tie and a level 2 tongue tie. She used a water laser so cut both and gave me instructions on how to stretch the lip and tongue 8-10 times a day for a few weeks. Liliana immediately nursed easier after the revision. I could hear her swallowing milk!


She gained .2 ounces over the weekend and 4 ounces by the next week which means we hit birth weight! By five and half weeks, she weighed 9 lbs 11 oz. yay!




Liliana started smiling at her daddy at three weeks and by a month old, she smiles when we talk to her. She ddefiniey recognizes her siblings and loves to see their faces. She is strong and can hold her head up and turn her head from side to side.


Sleeping is still difficult and she needs to be worn in my ring sling or Nesting Days carrier during the day and I have been sleeping with her on my chest during the night. It's the only way we both get sleep. With four kids and no rest during the day - I'll do what I have to do to get some sleep at night.


Liliana we love you and you make our family complete!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment