Template

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's April 28th and I am 28!

Today is my birthday. Thank you mom for giving birth to me today. Now that I am a mom I truly understand this miracle and the feelings that go along with being a mom. I think on this day you (mom) should be celebrated for the hard work you endured having me 28 years ago and for all the love and support you have given me through the years. (you too Dad!) I love you! Thank you for everything!

I spent the day today taking Santiago to get his helmet checked and adjusted at Dynamics and at Dr. T's office making sure he approved of Santi's new helmet. Grandpa Hector and Grandma Linda came with us and it was nice to have them there to help. We had a ton of rain yesterday and today and Houston is flooded. Luckily we didn't have any trouble traveling to the medical center but we did see a lot of high water. I was thankful that we made it to the appointments and did not have to reschedule. Our second appointment was postponed 2 hours because Dr. T was stuck in surgery so we had to go hang out at Bianca's for a bit. When we got to the UT Medical Building, Dr. T was pleased with Santiago's helmet and we learned that we do not have to go back to see him for a month. He said we will have monthly checkups with him until the helmet comes off and then we will stretch the appointments out after that. We will continue to see him until Santi is 7 years old! I learned today that Santiago's bones in his skull will remain open for about 6 months after surgery so we will have to watch them carefully making sure they are growing and healing correctly. Dr. T met with Aaron from Dynamics yesterday and he stressed the importance of us coming in once a week to get the helmet adjusted. It seems that they have come to a better understanding of how Santi's helmet needs to fit in order to get the best results. I am thankful that they are working together! I asked Dr. T if Santiago will have to wear the new helmet for 2-3 months from now or if the time started 2 weeks ago when we got the first helmet. He laughed and said he can not say for sure when the helmet will come off. It will all depend on how Santiago's head is doing and he said that it is better to wear a helmet a little longer than taking it off too early. If it comes off too early, the head can regress. We don't want that to happen. The good news is that Santiago's head is already improving - Dr. T said he can see a difference from when we were there last Tuesday. So all in all we had two good appointments today. I am super excited to have a helmet that fits well! Aaron made a small adjustment on the helmet today because it was squishing Santiago's left eye a little and making him look like a pirate. He gave him a little more room around the eyes and it seems to be better now. We still have one more helmet to try but both Dr. T and Aaron think we will stay in the one we have now.

Hector was going to take me out to dinner for my birthday tonight but since we got home much later than expected from the doctor we just decided to order pizza and eat at home. We may go out tomorrow night instead. I had a good birthday today ~ thanks for all the birthday wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment